Certification Program for Teachers
- Program for certification in the teaching of English as a foreign language – TEFL diploma
This program for the training of teachers of English as a foreign language is a response to the needs of educational institutions and English learning centers which require teachers with linguistic and methodological competence in order to effectively carry out the standards set up by the National Ministry of Education within the framework of its project “Colombia Bilingüe” (Bilingual Colombia).
This program is designed to train teachers and those interested in teaching English as a foreign language so that they can become familiar with linguistic and methodological knowledge which will allow them to have a successful future as professional teachers.
- This program is offered to the following groups:
1. Experienced teachers of English as a foreign language who seek to attain a certification or title with international recognition.
2. Teachers with a university degree who wish to sharpen and improve their linguistic and methodological abilities.
3. Persons with a good command of the English language who wish to enter into the field of teaching English as a foreign language.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Take the MELICET exam and obtain at least a minimum of 70% in the sections on the reading and listening comprehension and at least 75% in the oral interview.
- Be willing to participate actively in classes and to work in groups
|Description of the Diploma course: The course includes eight (8) modules. Students should develop their teaching practices and undertake a research project.
Module 1: Description of the English language: phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics.
|Module 2: Methodologies in the teaching of English as a second language.|
|Module 3: Teaching of the receptive skills (listening and reading comprehension).|
|Module 4: Teaching of the productive skills (speaking and writing).|
|Module 5: Roles of student and teacher. Techniques of classroom management. Encouragement of student autonomy.|
|Module 6: The design of lesson plans and the development of class materials, analysis, and the selection and appropriate use of English texts.|
Module 7: The testing and evaluation of students (with the use of traditional and alternative methods).
|Module 8: The professional development of the teacher.|
Length of program: The TEFL diploma requires 120 hours.